Monday, February 14, 2011
Chapter 12
As we already know, at the first of the school year we need to "lay out the line" for the writer's workshop. If the students have a good idea and understanding about how the workshop is supposed to go then there will be less time for confussion. We also need to plan units of study for the whole class instruction. The unit of study in the writer's workshop is a period of time. A unit of study in a writing workshop simply supports students' learning around their self-selected pursuits as writers. For selecting units of study a teacher must ask theirself: What are my strengths?, What have my students studied before in writing?, What are my students interested in? What resources do I have?, and more. These questions will help shape and form your units of study. I like the layouts of the units of study that are shown in chapter 12. I do realize that it is OKAY to study things for a longer period of time. The layout of the unit of study is easy to follow, its clean and clear, and well developed. I think that studying an author or genre is important and I can see why. However, I did an author study last semester and I thought it was soooo boring. I mean, I did learn from it. But, it was just okay to me. Nothing about is really interested me or "wow-ed" me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What author did you choose? I'm curious. I'm not sure what the assignment was, but I'd be interested. There are several authors who fascinate me as writers, and you could do all kinds of things. Then again, I also know that as humans not every thing will fascinate every one of us! So, maybe it's not the right approach for you. Nothing wrong with that!
ReplyDeleteBeth
Eric Carle. I love Eric Carle and I find his work interesting. However, I just did not like having to write about his life and every little detail about him.
ReplyDelete