Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chapters 1-5

Lauren Tedder
Ch 1-5
Writing Workshop Blog
1-18-11

            First of all, this text is not so bad after all. I find this text actually interesting and I enjoy the settings this text puts you in. It gives you real life situations and examples. This is great because I really, really do not like to read. I have learned a lot through the first five chapters of this text. To be honest, I did not really have a great understanding of what a writing workshop is or why we should have one in our classrooms.
            The goal of a writing workshop is to help find good reasons for students to write, do all the things that writers really do, and the students can decided about what they want to write about. How perfect is this? Giving students choices to freely write about whatever they wish. This would help many, if not all students stay interested in writing. As a student, I really dislike writing about boring topics or topics that the teacher picks for us to write about. It is much more fun writing about things you care about. I also like how the writing workshop allows teachers to bring in their own personalities, experiences, and strengths to the workshop. I do agree that all writers need time and experience to write. I think that it is a great idea to have a set time everyday for students to explore writing. I learned a lot about the different parts that make up a writing workshop.
            I never really thought about writing being two different parts. There is writing to support your life and writing to communicate. I mean writing love notes or grocery lists never seemed like “writing” to me. However, reading chapter 2 made me realize that writing is writing and you can do it and learn it in different forms. I like how writing is not my grade level or ability level. The reason is because writers grow and learn their whole lives. Writing is a great way for people to share and respect others ideas. The best part, in my opinion, about the writing workshop is that not every piece of work a student writes has to be their very best work. This takes the pressure of the students and allows them to explore and try new things.
            I found chapter 4 interesting about the tone of the room. I liked how it said that cluster in a room is okay. That cluster means something interesting is going on! There are many different combinations a room can have to set its tone. I like how the author addresses time and how each student will be finished with the writing workshop when the clock is up and the whole 30 minutes is up. So far, I have a much better understanding of what and why a writing workshop can be a helpful tool.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great first post. You give lots of excellent and substantive details, which I appreciate. Your point about not everything being the "very best work" was an interesting one to pull out. Many of my students find this hard to imagine - precisely because there seems to be so little room to figure things out, abandon ideas, write for different purposes, and so on. When we give the writer the decision of what to polish and publish, I find that they are much more willing to go through the hard work of revising and editing.

    Well done!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete